Sub Title

Art you just have to have!

Daily Paintings and more by Sophi

Friday, June 27, 2014

Damselflies Ready to Mate!




Sorry this one isn't for sale unless you want a print!  I just thought you would like to see where some of my ideas for the canvas come from... and well since we are on the subject of dragonflies mating and in my last post you just got to learn about how they attach to one another and start to fly off together I thought I would give you a visual on the next step.....

After their aerobatics together they perch together, yes that's right still attached.  As you can see here the male pretty much has that female by the neck or behind the eyes, dragging her along at this point.  Well, that's what it looks like to me...and primitive to boot!  Anyway in a few minutes the mating will look pretty darn cute (which no I did not get a picture of.... I mean privacy for insects please!)  as the two actually end up forming the shape of a heart with their bodies as the female wraps her tail end under to meet his abdomen (area near the chest).  Isn't that cute & romantic!  Pretty flexible little creatures too & no yoga classes to teach them!

So I believe these two are damselflies which you can discern from the delicate shapes of their bodies and, as mentioned in an earlier post, and the eyes are very different and do not wrap around their whole head like the dragonfly's. 

Enjoy the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment